Teacher of English
This job expired on 17 April 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
17 April 2023 at 11:59pm
24 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS/UPS (London Fringe) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Inspire, transform, teach! We are currently looking to appoint a dedicated and inspiring Teacher of English.
At Harris Academy Ockendon , you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level (can be teaching practice), ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools and of working in an 11-18 school
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students, and of being a tutor
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4, and of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Have a good level of ICT skills, ideally including innovative use of interactive white boards
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage their own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
What the school offers its staff
“I am passionate about three things:
Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can't do number 3!”
- George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education.
We are an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. ; It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students.
Our location just outside the M25 means we attract staff not only from Essex but from London. Indeed, over half our staff live in Kent/Surrey/South East and Central London. Some of our team even travel from West London because they like the school so much.
Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school.
We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the academy's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including lesson planning, developing resources and syllabuses, and contributing to the departmental plan)
- Curriculum planning
- Staff development (including continuing professional development and engaging fully in the Performance Management Review process)
- Quality assurance (including contributing to the process of monitoring and evaluating the subject area)
- Management of information (including maintaining appropriate records and tracking student progress)
- Communications with students, parents and other stakeholders
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, ensuring a high quality learning experience for students
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy Ockendon
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1329 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Ockendon website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 01708 851661
Harris Academy Ockendon is an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students. The Harris Federation is a highly successful group of schools who serve many of the most deprived areas of London and Essex. We are collaborative, enterprising and share a passion for turning lives around, yet each school is autonomous and free to set its own vision and strategy for how it does that. Each Harris school feels completely different in terms of culture and ethos. Perhaps this is the school you’ve been looking for. Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school. “I am passionate about three things: Leading staff to become happy, successful, highly trained professionals who stay in the game and don’t burn out or lose their way. Creating a fulfilling secondary experience for students where they can grow to become well-rounded, ambitious and successful young adults ready to put a ding in the universe. My life outside work. Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can’t do number 3!” - George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education. A lovely secondary school where the students say, “Good Morning”, and actually mean it. Check out our school via our video https://tinyurl.com/HAOC-Video The Executive Principal is George McMillan. Originally from Glasgow, he graduated from the University of Aberdeen with an MA (hons) degree in English Literature and a burning desire to teach. After teaching in Edinburgh, then moving to senior management in Chafford (Essex), George took over Harris Academy Greenwich in 2011 and led its transformation to hitting the top 15% of schools in the country for progress 7 years in a row. Harris Greenwich is one of only a handful of schools in London to retain its Outstanding status (2014 then 2022) under the new Ofsted framework, and the World Class School status twice in a row. The Principal is Ms Jo Rainey. Originally from Belfast, she graduated from ;the University of Ulster with a first class degree in History and Geography. Over the past 21 years, she has taught history and led in schools across London and Essex with most of her senior leadership career being spent in Hackney. Jo has been Principal at Ockendon since 2018. She is highly respected for her strong sense of integrity, her passion for student life chances, and loyalty to the school.
Similar jobs nearby
The Robert Napier School
Third Avenue, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 2LX
Carshalton Boys Sports College
Winchcombe Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 1RW
Tithepit Shaw Lane, Warlingham, Surrey, CR6 9YB
The Ursuline Academy Ilford
Morland Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 4JU
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed