Harris Primary Academy Purley Way is looking for a Teaching Assistant to support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment. The successful candidate will be involved in first aid related matters and have a basic knowledge of SEND and learning barriers.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of SEND and learning barriers
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Personal Skills, Abilities & Qualities
- Good literacy and numeracy skills,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work as part of a team; working effectively with people across a wide range of levels and responsibilities.
- Computer literate – must have good ICT skills including a working knowledge of MS packages e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel etc, as well as using and updating records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised.
- Flexibility of approach to work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; having tact and diplomacy where necessary.
Harris Primary Academy Purley Way has been open since 2016 and is Ofsted rated Outstanding in all areas. At full capacity there will be 21 classes from Reception to Year 6. We opened with a Reception cohort and are growing by a year group at a time with currently over 350 pupils on roll from Reception to Year 5. The whole community strive for Harris Primary Academy Purley Way to be the best it can possibly be which is encapsulated by our vision statement: “Excellence for All”.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan, electric car scheme, 26 days' annual leave (plus bank holidays) for non term-time only employees, and many other benefits.
Your responsibilities will be:
- To supervise and provide particular
support for identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations,
ensuring their safety and access to learning.
- To assist in the development of
appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with
the teacher to ensure the provision supports each identified student's learning
- To assist in evaluating identified
students' progress through agreed assessment activities.
- To provide detailed and regular feedback
to teachers on students' achievement, progress and needs.
- To lead small group sessions and
interventions as appropriate.
- To attend to the students' personal
needs where required, and implement related personal programmes, including
social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters.
- To support with behaviour management,
using appropriate strategies in line with academy policy.
- To contribute to creating a
purposeful and supportive learning environment.
- Undertake structured and agreed learning
activities/teaching programmes as appropriate, adjusting activities to ensure
achievement of learning goals.
- To assist with the supervision of
students out of lesson times, including playtimes and undertaking lunchtime
- To establish good relationships with
students, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding
appropriately to needs.
- To promote the inclusion and
acceptance of all students.
- To be aware of and support difference
and ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and
- To support students with their
learning and development in respect of local and national learning strategies.
- To encourage students to interact
with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- To prepare the classroom as directed
for lessons and clear afterwards and assist with the display of students' work.
- To prepare and maintain
equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist students in their
- To undertake student record keeping.
- To provide clerical/admin support as
required e.g. photocopying, typing, filing.
This job post has expired.